Thursday, March 9, 2023

Reading practise intensive - Week 1 homework.

 After RPI day 1 we had 2 goals to achieve before our next session. 

Goal 1:To investigate the reading profiles of my class through the reading survey and to explore ways to improve their enjoyment and amount of reading in their own time.

Goal 2: For learners to use (and reflect on) their use of the ground rules to have learning conversations.


Reflection of goal 1-

It was a bit harder to do the survey with my class then I thought it would be but I read it to my class and had my teacher aide help students to answer it.


My key finding from this survey after analysing the data were:
- 33% of my class are not reading anything for enjoyment at the moment, even though they said they like reading in their own time. 
- Most students have a pretty good feeling towards reading and know what they like to read.
-Most of the skills they said good readers have are decoding strategies. 

From this I want to make sure my students understand the strategies of a good reader so they know what they can/need to do when reading. I also want to make sure they get lots of time to choose and read books that they want to read. 

Things I have already started are SSR time and making time to chat with my students about the book they are reading and why they chose it. Helping them to find books they like by looking at the4 blurb/hook on the back. 
Using online books to get them interested in reading as well. 

Goal 2:
I have shown all my reading groups the ground rules to have learning conversations and we have set one for each group and for the whole class as well. 

I have found that having one clear goal has been great and when the kids are reminded they are really trying to follow it. It has helped keep them on track in there groups too and they agreed that there goal will help when they are reading with their group. 

I also shared the youtube clip of why kids love to read with my class and they really enjoyed it and agreed with what some of those kids said and were also able to share a bit about what they love about reading.  

No comments:

Post a Comment