Thursday, June 22, 2023

Day 6 - all things Vocab!

 I have been really excited for this session because I love teaching students about vocabulary. 

I thought the word knowledge builder would be a great resource to use with my class to check in. This is something I do at the beginning of lessons but I don't have it recorded anywhere and I don't always check in at the end to see if students have a better understanding. I think it would be really great to see how this is added to over the term.  I also really like the traffic light idea for some of my other reading groups this would be a more achievable way for them to use it. 


Discussing word consciousness really made me think about the students in my class that regularly show me that they have an awareness and interest for words and also those that don't and what I could do to help my students that don't. I am going to make that during guided sessions/shared reading that I take the time to stop and focus on different words and set challenges for my  students.   

My favourite part of todays session was the buddy activities that we got to do. I liked the word associations and which would you activity because this something my class would love to do. It would start a lot of great discussions between my students. I have planned one for one of my reading groups to do next term and I am really excited to see how this goes. I also think I will be able to use this with the shared reading texts we use as well. I liked that with the which would you activity it asked to say why you chose it and this is great because it takes it the next step and makes you really think about your choice. 


Overall it was a great session on vocab! I can't wait to use these activities in my class. I also want to make it very explicit in my timetable about what is happening during my literacy time. Rather than just writing reading and writing so I can see how much time I am given to different aspects of my literacy programme.  


No comments:

Post a Comment