Tuesday, November 5, 2019

DFI #8- Computational Thinking

Wednesday 6th November 2019

What did I learn that increased my understanding of Manaiakalani kaupapa today - specifically empowerment?

After talking with Dorothy she made a huge point of saying that if Chromebook's are only a tool then get our families to purchase a $2 tool. We should be using these things to change the lives of our whanau. We want to empower our children in their learning. I connected with this because next year our school is offering parents the opportunity to buy the devices so this has made me really think about how I am going to make sure my students are really getting the most out of them rather than using them as a tool.

Also completely agree with what Dorothy said about Imoko, I think that this service is absolutely amazing for kids and their families as a lot of parents can't get into the doctor in our area so its great to get kids what they need when they are at school.

I also really liked what Dorothy said about making sure we use the comment section on the blogs to have a conversation with others- rather than "look someone commented on my blog" and ignoring it- this is something that Kerry and Vanessa have made sure we do when commenting on blogs at DFI. 

What did I learn that could improve my confidence, capability or workflow as a professional?

I learnt how to use scratch better which will make me use it more in my class- my kids love to use it so this will be great!
It was also great to look at the kid speak progressions for digital technologies- will be really good to share these with my school and our students so they are clear about what they are able to do.

What did I learn that could be used with my learners? 

It would be awesome if we could get some of the dash bots for our school. We got to use these today and I have been to another Manaiakalani school and the year 6 students taught me how to use it and it was an amazing way to connect with their learning and have the students as the teachers! I would love to see my students do this at school and in our community.
I have also used scratch with my class but now that I know more about it I will use it more in class.

What did I learn that could improve my confidence, capability or workflow in my personal life?

I think something that I will use in my personal life is the removing background app we were shown- makes it so much faster and easier to add pictures and get rid of the background, will also be using this at school!

Had a go at making a scratch video- want to get my kids to do something like this to show how to be Kaitiaki at our school.

Hard at work today!

2 comments:

  1. I think it was good that you were able to make connections between ideas and what you are doing already; it is good to keep thinking of ways for us to incorporate these ideas into what we are already doing, or how we plan to improve learning in our classrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Alistair- I try to make sure that what we are learning at DFI doesn't become something extra and is part of my classroom and learning so that I use it with my students regularly.

    ReplyDelete